Sunday, July 09, 2006

Brief Update

Brief Update

23 Jun - signed lease for new place

24 Jun - clean up of new place
It took 6 half-pails of water to clean up!

25 Jum - cannot afford to go to new place
We needed a break. Otherwise, we'll be so dead tired, or worse dead, by the time the big move comes along.

26 Jun - called Asia-Trans Worldwide Moving (S) Pte Ltd movers
At the same time, I met my contractor for quotations for minor jobs at the new place. After all, a 30 year old house needs what it needs, upgraded or not. Look at me, just a few days over 30 (ok, make that a handful plus of months) and I'm probably in need of more overhaul that I ever imagine. An oil change, or drainage, for a start... First load packed for own move.

27 Jun - moving consultant came to quote
First load moved over to new house.

28 Jun - received quotation
Nearly died. The quotation was $750! Include GST and we are looking at a good $800. They had better do a good job.
Second load packed and moved to new place.

29 Jun - boxes from movers cannot be used
WHO WOULD USE USED BOXES for clean stuff like clothes and plates and bowls. Worse, these boxes didn't come from a home move. Called moving consultant and quarrelled.
Third load packed and moved to new place.

30 Jun - new, clean boxes arrived.
Initial planning and some packing.
Fourth load packed and moved to new place.

1 Jul - angels arrived
My ex-students, 6 of them, came and helped me with the packing. They were the best thing to happen for a long long long long time. Enough said. I promised them a thank-you meal later. I'll try to make yam paste dessert for them when they come for the meal (Sheena has kindly agreed to wash up the dishes and clean up my kitchen after that. All for my orh-nee. I'm blessed!)

2 Jul - final packing and checks

3 Jul - movers came
Apart from damaging the base of one of my imported teak-wood cupboards (it costs $1200 each!), they also broke a plate (my angels did well, but few things will surivive the very uncoordinated, rough handling of boxes) and left a cigarette burn mark on one of my boxes. The movers were grossly unprofessional. They turned my staircase into a slide and slid the boxes down with little or no regard to the contents. They hit the furniture here and there and caused damage. They smoked and threw the cig butts in my place. They drank the canned drinks I offered and left the cans all over the place. They dirtied the house with their shoes and sticky tape and also damaged many of my stuff by bundling them with sticky tape.

WORST OF ALL, I suffered from acute lumbargo that day. My back simply acted up and I was out of commission.

4 Jul - out of action
Boss messaged me to call and I had to call on the bed. I simply could not get out.

5 Jul - some boxes unpacked
The mess got messier.

6 Jul - madness as more boxes unpacked
THe furniture got moved around because we could not figure out the best way of arranging the stuff.

7 Jul - the mess got arranged some
In the end, we went to watch Superman and I wondered where I had left the remote control. Then I forgot I could not do the fast forward in a movie theatre, even if I had the remote. Then I wished I was Lex Luthor. God! It must have been a real kick kicking the shit out of Supes.

8 Jul - more arranging took place

9 Jul - off to USA
I'll be off till 16 Jul. Housemate's going to have to help with the mess. Then I'm going to tear my hair out trying to fugure out where he left everything.

Until then.

No comments: