Sunday, December 06, 2009

The Damage Begins Here...

Is it me or am I not alone in feeling that one's head damage begins as one navigates the graduate school application process?

The applications - hitherto - do not seem to be going anywhere and there isn't even the faintest hint of any success. When the deadline descends upon you, you simply send in whatever draft version you have, never mind the draft was sitting there since a week ago.

I think it feels so unlike being in the program already, where each word written is one word closer (I hope) to the finish line.

I'm not sure... but it sure as hell feels as though my brains are becoming dumber already.

2 comments:

Booted Harleydude said...

Actually, you become dumber on two levels: the more you obsess about it, and once you're in a graduate program. Having gone through all that, I know how completely stupid I felt during my graduate studies when it seemed as if everyone else had that witty remark, insightful comment, intriguing idea, and bright statement. Meanwhile, I sat there feeling quite like the toad in the pond.

You will get through it, I have no doubt. Yes, indeed, let your hair down and try to relax. This cheerleader from the other side of the world knows you have the skills, knowledge, and capabilities to do quite well. And having read your CV, I know whatever shape it is in (to your assessment), you are indeed a very impressive man.

Booted Harleydude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.