The sun will come up tomorrow
Bet your bottom penny on tomorrow
There'll be sun...
The opening lines of Tomorrow from the Broadway musical Annie rang in my ears as I watched 2012. The satire - political and religious - is not lost on me. More than a satire, 2012 was a CGI slug fest. I bet many of the destruction scenes were farmed out to many different teams to see who can create the best effect for the complete distortion of earth's crust.
The movie aside, this blogger wants to lament a huge problem if Armageddon will indeed be in 2012. It's chronologically too far away! There is way too much time and I wish 2012 were tomorrow!
I bet I will look at this post as I remininsce in 2012 and bitch about why the end never came. Or perhaps I'm already in some better place.
Science fiction movies and TV shows suffer from predictability, which makes them easily to watch. Essentially brainless time killers, I call them. They are quite unlike shows such as... Hm. Many shows are predictable. And there are enough simulations of how the world would end. The interesting question is this: How would what we do change anything? After all, we are doomed biblically. We are not doomed scientifically.
Apart from 2012, I also watched the two-part TV series, Meteor. It showed how a smaller meteor broke up a larger one when they collided and both pieces from the larger meteor hurtled towards earth, guaranteeing some gruelsome end for mankind.
Expectedly, Earth was saved by some brilliant scientist's assistant who only found out about the problems with her equation solving techniques after she gave the answer. Honestly, the show was so boring the writers tried to jazz it up with a few subplots. However, the subplots bombed too. Regardless, the contriteness of setting a science fiction series in 2009 is... well, contrite. It's not something that is going to happen.
My main thought after these shows is "why aren't these events happening yet?" And if these events were happening, would anything change? If so, what?
And if we know what needs to be changed, then why are we not doing it?
4 comments:
I look forward to the reformation of pangaea, whether caused by seismic events or meteors or special effects, or all of the above.
My fatalistic brother is in my picket line. Who's next?
Good point. Thge universe as fast as it is is happening much slower than man wants it to. Good thing because compared to the strenght power and energy that man has pathetically learned to manage we don't even make a parasite on a flees back. We would be lucky to work together long enough to build any system to belay a catastrophic event. BUT we can do it. I am thinking that we may ultimately destroy our selves first thanks to all of the naysayers and nuts who apparently have fractured minds who think that salvation lay in overpowering or dominating others.
Salvation is in...........You know what I believe in. Love.
I still want to kick nuts in the nuts.
I got a ways to go yet before I get over that.
Who cares? If it happens, which I doubt, ground "0" is the perfect place to be - either way I am ready fir some answers...
Post a Comment