Friday, March 26, 2010

The Mathematical Brain

This post is synonymously titled with "The Mathematical Brain" by Brian Butterworth. I first read that book when I was a trainee teacher in 2001 and since then, my view of mathematics learning has changed radically.

Now I see there is actually a place for mathematics haters. They really have a place - far far away from me.

I'm not against people struggling with mathematics but I wonder why people wouldn't try. I know interest counts for a lot and I concede that point about interest. But then, if one weren't interested, explain why one would come for Mathematical Olympiad training sessions?

Question for the day:

Which of the following products is bigger?
20092010 * 2011 or 20112010 * 2009

3 comments:

Micheal Groshong said...

Did you ever hear of over-achiever parents who push.....

Numbers hated me first and I return the favor gladly....

Quinsy said...

the first one has a bigger product?

Tef said...

Well done Quinsy.

Here's the non-calculator proof.

Note that abcdabcd = abcd * 1001.

Therefore,

20092010 * 2011
= 20092009 * 2011 + 2011
= 2009*10001*2011 + 2011
= a + 2001

and

20112010 * 2009
= 20112011 * 2009 - 2009
= 2011*10001*2009 - 2009
= a - 2009
< a + 2011

Therefore, the first product is bigger in value. QED.