Friday, April 01, 2005

2 Trips That Changed My Life

Two Trips That Changed My Life

I made two trips over the past two years (2003 and 2004) and the sum total of the experience changed my life entirely. I live life as fully as I can and I know when I should give up the pursuit of certain things. I learn the value of contentment and I also learn that money, indeed, cannot buy happiness.

I've not found enlightenment or entered the state of selflessness but I've become more willing to speak my mind, spend my money and time, or do something that can bring back happiness and stability to my life. It's not being fatalistic, but being at peace with nature, with your inner self.

I've stared right into my core and on many occasions, covered my face in shame when I reflect on my life so far. During introspection, I have shed some tears of regret, smiled at my foolishness, hated myself for my stubbornness and stupidity, laughed at my happy thoughts and basked in the glory of my past successes. I am not a perfect person, but I have dared to take the first step out to come to terms with who I am inside. How many people out there will really dare to face their true inner selves?

I'll share with you the turning points of those trips.

2003, I went to Yunnan, China. Shangri-La was the place where I finally learnt what is the value of a breath. The Chinese have this thing about needing your breath to be smooth flowing. I'll tell you that in Shangri-La, for some reason which I can no longer recall, I was so fuming mad that I raised my voice slightly at the waitress. But to my amazement, I could not even finish my sentence! Because of the high altitude, I had to pause half-way, inhale, before I can resume speaking. And because of the breathless condition that I felt for the first time in my life, I knew what it meant to have a smooth airflow. I simply could not carry on my tirade. I sat down, and resolved never to lose my temper over needless things again. Since then, I have been rather successful.

2004, I went to Sri Lanka. I needn't say more about the tsunami that struck. What happened to the people in Sri Lanka taught me about the fragility of human life, of death. What were previously sights of beauty and tranquility turned into gory dumps of death for the gentle, peaceful people. The tsunami, which I had earlier predicted, left me indelible lessons.

Through these two trips, I've learnt the gift of living and the inevitability of death.

I have become a more contented person. I know when to let go. And I know what I am really pursuing now are my happiness and worth of and in life. These are very important to me.

No comments: