There Is A Time And Place For Everything
I think I should just quit my job and be a social commentator. I'm well-geared towards the job anyway. Anyhow, I may have bragged too much again. But I digress.
After 2 days of THE FLU, I finally decided to have something decent for a meal today. Have to work tomorrow, so a simple dinner out would be a welcome precursor to the shitty world out there tomorrow.
Brought a wad of discount coupons for the food outlets at the Singapore Expo and a $30 Crystal Jade cash voucher (courtesy of my brand allegiance to the petrol company who must have made thousands off me - that voucher took around $1 000 worth of petrol for redemption). Anyway, I digress again.
Companion wanted to eat at Expo. I'm ambivalent, though I did mention that I had the CJ voucher with me and he did mention that he had thought about eating at CJ on his way to pick me up. But distance got the better of him - he chose Expo because it is nearer to my place (and he had to send me back). Of course, I didn't want to raise a protest as I am just a passenger.
We arrived at the Expo and parked inside the seemingly large carpark (whose capacity is never enough during exhibitions). Walked around and tried to find some place to eat.
Ma Lan La Mian (Chinese handmade noodles) was closed. One down.
Orange Julius was closed. Dessert/after dinner drinks are goners. Two down.
Food court was open. But heck! All the way here to dine in a less than inviting food court?
Burger King was open. Again, why come here for BK? There's one nice outlet near my place!
Macau Express was open. God! Those prices are exorbitant. And there isn't a single soul in the restaurant.
There's a tandoori place but there isn't any discount for that shop. Also the shop has no diners in it.
Jazz Pub was not rocking. Out of the running too.
The Terrace is closed too. And even if they were open, I doubt they'd make the cut, not at least my cut.
So we surveyed the Thai Restaurant there. The prices are rather high, considering that there isn't a single person in the restaurant. But I thought since "my driver" wanted to eat rice and noodles, a Thai place would do the trick.
We sat some place near the service counter, rather deep into the restaurant. Despite the waitress' request to her fellow colleagues to turn on the air conditioner near our seats, it was not switched on. Never mind. More about that later.
After our orders, we had to wait for a long time for the food to arrive. Fine. That means the kitchen is preparing a fresh dish of each order for us.
Then the food came. And out came this proprietress who is anything but proper.
As we settled down to eat, she started asking if her waitresses had mopped the floor and why there are black spots on the ground. "If these black spots are not removed, then they'll become permanent after a while."
"Did anyone of you use the bleach for the floor or not?"
Silence.
"Tonight you all stay back and clean the floor, ok?"
Silence.
"Make sure you clean off all the black spots on the floor."
Silence.
(Walking to the main entrance) "Did anyone touch anything here?"
Silence.
"Did anyone move anything?"
Silence.
"Did you all move this (I think she was referring to the entrance dais)?"
Silence.
As she walked towards me, I asked her, "Could you turn on the aircon?"
"Huh?" She replied.
"Can you turn on the aircon?"
"Too cold is it?"
"No, it's too warm. Is it on?"
"It's on what!"
Walking back to pick up the remote control, she walked to the aircon unit and turned it on. Finally, I felt some cool air coming out.
"Thank you."
Silence. She walked away as though she was deaf.
Walking to another part of the restaurant, she started her housekeeping again.
"Can you move that table a little to your right?"
Silence.
"Too much! Too much! Just to your left."
Silence.
Three customers walked in. She showed them to their seat and blocked them and they had to walk around her carcass to get to their seats.
What low IQ and what lack of propriety.
By then, I've decided never to go back to this restaurant. I think I'll stick to my usual.
Why should I eat in a place where I am given the impression that it's so dirty. Everywhere, there are black spots. Everywhere, the staff is not cleaning. Everywhere, I don't even know what's everywhere even.
It was a disgusting and downright base experience. And I cannot wait for it to close down so I can get some better restaurant to replace it.
Plainly, there is a time and place for everything. If you need to tick your workers off to show who's boss, then do it discreetly. It does not augur well to make such moves in front of two customers, where the entire restaurant is so silent. I could feel myself stiffen when my fork and spoon grate on my plate. It was a pin-drop silence. And there isn't even ambient music to break the icy atmosphere.
For the first time, I didn't order dessert. I cannot imagine my sugared tapioca with coconut cream coming with black spots (which I know are commonly found on tapioca roots). I had had enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment