Money and Religion
Somehow, clicking on "Hello" and getting it to upload my pics to my travel blog is much easier than coming over to my blog and doing some serious writing. But after a while, the brain turns jelly and the monotonous action of choosing a pic, writing a simple caption (or easier, surf the web for ready write-ups), and then waiting for the programme to do the uploading gets the better of my patience. I yearn to write a little, even if it is going to resemble some nonsensical ramblings (to some readers) or some divine truths (to other gifted or mentally brilliant ones). Anyway, I'm slipping into my Emperor's new clothes mentality again.
Well, Tibetan Buddhism is widely practised in Tibet. There are many lamas (not monks!) and many many temples, lamasteries, monasteries, palaces (I've got to figure the differences in the terminologies one of these days. But before that day, we'll use them interchangeably.).
Tourists flock to these places of worship to be awed by their intricate architecture, grand old age, splendour, majesty, holiness, and most of all, the sheer beauty of the places.
Unfortunately, each and every management of these places of worship charge "photo-taking fees". This practice is self-defeating, in my opinion. First, to enter such a place, tourists pay for a ticket. Part of the cost of the ticket SHOULD include photo-taking fees. Otherwise, it would beg the question, "to which coffer does the photo-taking fees go?". This is contentious, because lamas are supposed to lead simple lives - that means, lamas and too much money should not go hand in hand. If an entrance ticket costs RMB 50, does it make sense for each tourist to pay another RMB 50 for photo taking?
Second, if preservation of artifacts from light erosion (due to camera flashes) is a consideration, then any allowance for photo taking should not be considered.
Third, if such fees were to be used for upkeeping the temple grounds, then it returns to the argument of either the entrance fees had been grossly insufficient or there had been gross fund mismanagement of all the MONETARY offerings made by the devotees.
Coming to the latter point, I hate to say this. I find it sacrilegious to have devotees shove money at figures of worship. I find it extremely unacceptable to see Sakyamuni Buddha's raised hand be shoved with money between his fingers. I find it hard to agree with people sticking bills into every crevass they find on the figure. I find it totally disgusting to see people tossing money up high altars or at big figures so that the money can land near the Buddha or in His open palms.
Actually, I tossed RMB 10 once into an offering bowl placed high up on an altar. Then as the money landed, it dawned upon me the childishness of my action. If only the Gods were so gullible, only to accede to the requests of those who toss their money and offerings near them. Then what becomes of those who never got any access to these supreme beings? I wonder. From then on, I stopped tossing money and I won't pay a single cent to take any pictures.
There is actually another reason. I've walked past many many display cupboards showing all sorts of Buddha figures and figurines. On the glass panelled doors of such cupboards, I see lamas painstakingly stick bills of all sorts of denominations and nations on them. This is SO BLOODY MERCENARY! Are you trying to tell me that what I give is peanuts compared to the devotee who tossed 50 Great British Pounds at the figure? Preposterous! My peanuts (in Singapore terms) are worth S$600 000! Just ask T T Durai.
What about the pieces and pieces of 50 000 whatever their currency notes that are joined from end to end on the glass panels? Are they worth nothing? All such donations should be encashed for the running of the temples. These should not be displayed as though they are spoils of war. What kind of a spirit is this if those who strive to free themselves from clinging, greed and ignorant (basic Buddhist tenets) are unable to see beyond the transience of money?!
This goes back to my argument that the mismanagement of funds is rife.
Maybe I should go there, open a money changer outlet and start teaching financial management courses.
No comments:
Post a Comment