Passing of the Torch
In-camp training this year is special to me in many ways.
My boss is retiring. I have worked for her since 1999, when I re-enlisted to serve out my National Service after my studies. She had been and is still a wealth of knowledge from whom I learn. I'm going to miss working for her.
I seriously don't know who is coming over to take over her place or who I will be placed under after she leaves but I know it would be tough to find someone like her. I believe many of the NS guys who have worked with her would agree.
My unit will be reorganized into two or even three units and my future is uncertain. The people whom I've worked with since 1999 are all going to different places. I know for sure I'm going to miss working with them.
In a way, in-camp trainings are a sort of reunion for me. Every year, my army colleagues look forward to my going back to serve and I also look forward to go back to serve.
The renewal of ties and the updating of knowledge play a critical role in our growth. Our relationships have matured to the point where we can catch up from where we leave off very quickly. Even while I only serve about a fortnight each time I go back, we have never lost the camaraderie of working in a team or even helping each other.
We still make great saves for each other.
I don't think I'll ever be able to find a group that cohesive and that supportive.
And that's my boss' style: Build a team and trust the team.
No comments:
Post a Comment