Went for a function today and saw many people.
The general mood was one of exasperation. One where people resigned to their eternal curse of being mere puppets permeated the atmosphere, leaving it heavy and ominous. One could not feel the happiness even though the function was one where happiness should rule, at least for the afternoon.
I took a welcome break from work. I didn't feel too up to the event since my tonsils had flared up again and I just had a long-drawn dinner function the night before. However, I tried to soak in the whatever little happy feelings that I could sense there.
One main reason to cheer was I met people I know and it had been a long time since I last met them. In particular, I found a long-lost friend. The last I saw him was 1998. We were undergraduates then. We met in a English Language Syntax Course. Caught up with stuff since then and I'd be looking forward to meeting him for dinner sometime soon.
Anyhow, this friend was probably the talk of the function for the wrong reasons too. He wore an orange shirt, a pair of red jeans and a pair of cobra skin cowboy boots for a shirt and tie event. Well, that's him all right. I'd hesitate to call out to him if he hadn't dressed this way, honestly.
And of course, I met someone else whom I cannot wait to eliminate from my life. He made the incredible mistake of saying to me "Hey, I think I know you. Where did I meet you?" Spoke volumes. We were classmates during our education diploma course in 2001 - 2. Anyway, why would he remember me when his ego, self-righteousness, lack of humility, among his other qualities, would have precluded him from learning social etiquette skills and developing some iota of EQ.
Met my ex-boss. She's doing well. I'm happy for her.
I met a very good friend, a senior of sorts. Met him in 2002. Looking at him now, I get chills down my spine. He's been sidelined by his boss. Clearly passed over. There are some battles you can never win because circumstances are beyond your control. But do you then get faulted for that? I shudder to think coming 5 years in 2012, where will I be.
I chatted with a junior who exclaimed about my current posting outside of the circle I'm trained in. We'll have lots to catch up some time in the future.
A big player called out to me when the function was over and I was obliged to indulge him. Surprisingly, putting aside the superior and subordinate (well, not direct relationships - he's way up in the heavens already), he is actually a very nice guy. Very measured and thoughtful. Opens up and shares. As a HR guy, he knows where his good people are but powers bigger than him may be hindering him somewhat.
Overall, the reunion of sorts was interesting. I've done my share of networking.
No comments:
Post a Comment