Friday, November 02, 2007

Drugs


Martina Hinggis is retiring from tennis after she tested positive for cocaine at the Wimbeldon this year.

I still find it hard to believe. Hinggis is not one of the players I like or support - give me Monica "Grunter" Seles any time. Still, to see her in the throes of misery because of this is still painful.

I have always found it hard to believe that tennis players would abuse cocaine as this is definitely not a drug you would use to enhance your endurance, whatever the post-use euphoria that you could get. How does one play when one is flighty and flummoxed? That's why I find it hard to fathom that the Swiss Miss would do something that stupid.

Anyway, hopefully some light would come out of this.

Another drug that I find stupid to abuse is testosterone. If you (guys, of course) inject yourself with synthetic testosterone, you are basically turning yourself into an eunuch except that you'll keep your balls.

The body will recognise the artificial hormone in the body and think that enough of it is there. And what the body does to maintain equilibrium is to shut the factory - basically your nuts/gonads/balls/testicles whatever - down. And over a prolonged period of time, the factory forgets to resume operations even when the hormones are depleted.

Hm... I'd rather keep my ability to enjoy myself than to have strapping muscles or a big one.

Anyhow, I'd meant to dedicate this post to St. Vicodine Fraser Stern. Remember his constant reminder for me to take two vicodin and then call him, get rest, whatever? I just wanted to declare here that I'm off painkillers since last night and I have been feeling fine.

There is no recurring or nagging or imminent pain. I'm happy that I've stayed clean for the past two days and it looks positive that my vicodin (or whatever painkillers I'm on) popping days can stay canned.

But of course, I may speak too soon for part two of the move - my housemate's - is next Saturday.

4 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

Nice to be pain free. I have not taken any Vicodin in a while either; but keep them in reserve for those times when I do. That will be thirty dollars, pay the cashier at the window.

Anonymous said...

St Vicodin,

Your pills are 30 dollars because of the opoid hydrocodone inside. And they could be addictive!

Mine are run-of-the-mill stuff (paracetamol + caffeine aka pacofen or merely anarex) that cost USD1.70 for 10 pills. :P

-Tef

T. F. Stern said...

You misunderstand, I pay $10 for my Vicodin as I use the generic and my insurance covers the rest.

The $30 was what I charge for medical advice, payment due at time of service. lol

Anonymous said...

I always thought testosterone increases your sex drive...lol