Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why do you call that murder?

I teach in a Methodist school where we have a chapel as part of the school premises. We have full-time a pastor here too.

Just last week, some thing helped itself to a whiteboard marker on my table. The markers are dispensed on a one-for-one basis by the school and teachers need to use them to write in the class.

So, I believe some thing stole from me in the house of god.

As I gave the incident more thought, I came to this interesting rationalization. If you take something from another without permission, it is stealing.

If that something is a life, it is stealing too. Why do we charge them for murder and then convict them and pass a death sentence? It is only stealing.

Oh, so it's not stealing? Then why are stealing punishments so light?

6 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

As I have stated in many comment sections on many topics, language skills do not equal unified understanding on the part of those involved in any given conversation. Our choice of words and patterns of thought are the result of an entire life time of experiences, often times painting a different picture than is seen by others.

Stealing has, at times, been associated with the taking of life and so your point could be validated under those broad terms. The topic given is too large to be covered within the confines of a comment section and deserves a much more detailed run of thoughts.

The probligo said...

TF, if you wish to equate the value of your life with the value of a marker pen then that is sad. If you place the same value on a marker pen as you would on your life then your argument would have some validity.

I don't know why TF prevaricates, he is usually so forthright. So I'll set the ball rolling...

There is no justification for the deliberate taking of a human life. None, nada, nil...

Now call me a hypocrite because I can accept (not justify) abortion within defined limits.

Anonymous said...

TF, I consider writing to be a reflection of a person's mind. The quality of writing shows the quality of the thoughts as well as brings to fore the biases and quirks of a person's character.

Probligo, what about euthanasia?

The probligo said...

Call it by its right name - suicide.

The probligo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The probligo said...

That was a bit abrupt, no?

If voluntary or chosen, suicide.

If imposed or without consent, murder.

Can I add that it is just as immoral to prevent natural death against the wish of the dying.