Friday, September 04, 2009

Compassion of Guanyin's Twin

Two student-related incidents stuck out very clearly in my mind since term started three weeks ago.

The first incident relates to a student who gave me the feeling that he was trying to pull wool over my eyes. The student said he could not locate the lab where he was supposed to meet me for writing conference for Assignment 1. He claimed he asked the guards at School X and they did not know either. So he went home. After that, he wrote me an email to ask to see me on another occasion for his Assignment 1.

It is not that I am unreasonable but I faced many internal hurdles to say yes. First, he had my cell phone number. If he were in school, he could have easily given me a call, when he found out that the guards were none the wiser where the lab is. Second, I did tell the class where the lab is. Third, a student who also could not be sure she could locate the lab arrived two hours earlier than her scheduled timeslot. She just completed her "recce" of the lab, she said. I saw her immediately when she arrived, since I could fit her into my schedule. Fourth, I made his classmate call him. I'm not sure if the classmate made the call, but he certainly sent out a message. Fifth and last, he could have called a friend. At the end of it all, I replied with these reasons and told him that if he has one good and honest reason to explain his absence, I would see him.

I am easy. Even an admission that he wasn't in the university and a simple apology would work for me. What I do not want is to accept his lame excuse that he could not find the place. How can it be that of the nearly 50 students I meet, he was the only one who cannot find the place?

The second incident involved students not reading the assigned articles and coming to class unprepared. Their actions culminated in the love letter two entries down. I went to class the day after the love letter was sent out and immediately realised those whom I knew did not read their articles during earlier classes chose seats at the back of the class and in the middle of each seating row, hoping that their relative inconvenient location could escape my prying eyes.

I surprised both classes by telling them I would not throw them out of class that day, since the email went out to them less than 48 hours in advance and that would not be nice of me. However, I told them firmly that on Tuesday next when we meet, if I catch them unprepared, I will humiliate them in class before I throw them out and mark them absent. They have been warned. I know I am giving tough love; the best medicine for them is the bitterest pill. But am I so glad to be such a monster?

In class, I discussed the abridged Toulmin argumentation method and used the love letter as an example to illustrate the argumentation techniques. I think it left them with a deep enough impression, since I taught them how to write excellent stinkers. After that, I took them on a tour of how to dissect the arguments in an article using the technique. While the class enjoyed themselves for that class, I told them that I no longer care if they are Freshmen; if they can't keep up, tough luck.

All in all, I told them I have the as much compassion as of the twin brother of Guanyin (the Goddess of Mercy). Many of them knew who I was referring to straightaway.

No comments: