Just visited my alma mater last week to conduct a training session for some of the students.
It's been more than 2 decades since I've graduated and honestly, apart from the familiar school crest and the school motto, nothing I saw that day even resembled what I remembered as a student there.
I saw monkeys. Students have lost the ability to behave themselves. Discipline is lax and poor conduct was rampant. There was noise. Sheer pandemonium. Endless senseless screaming, running around, messing around. It was nothing like the erudite atmosphere that we had in the past.
I met an ex-teacher and not unexpectedly, she couldn't quite remember who I was. It was after all more than twenty years. I took a look at the staff photo and saw a few familiar faces. Those were the teachers who had taught me when I was a student there. However, was I going to face more "You look familiar but I can't quite remember your name?"
I finished my lesson quickly and made a rapid exit.
The school is now entirely different from the nurturing place I used to remember. Or is my memory failing...?
1 comment:
Perhaps memory is not the issue? I would suggest your current perspective has altered and thereby your conclusions based upon on-site observations.
In my own case, I judged that I was not all that memorable; actually I like it that way...
Post a Comment