Sunday, October 09, 2005

Bali Blasts

Bali Blasts

Been some time that I blogged seriously. I just got too busy and too caught up with work to blog. During my little hiatus, Bali got bombed again.

Recall after that 2002 blast that rocked Bali, I visited it in Dec. Just a few months after the bomb. Even went to Kuta, and the site of the bomb blast. It was a disappointing sight. Nothing big deal.

What was I feeling then?

What was I supposed to feel?

We are all prisoners of our own device...

The Eagles have aptly summarised everything in one neat line in Hotel California.

I just went past the blast site and went, "Eh? So clean ah? No blood stains...?" Human nature? Inhuman nature? Who can tell?

In the face of irrationality, what is rational? Just ask the survivors and the plunderers of Hurricane Katrine.

I still recall after the Bali Blast 3 years ago, when I was in Bali, many of us were trying to get a good bargain when shopping. When we bargained, the vendors actually said, "Fuck you!" My friends and I walked away and felt two things.

One, the pride of this community is amazing. Two, someone's coming to fuck you again.

True enough, it happened in 2005.

I hope Bali can pick itself up again. I know it can. Singapore Airlines has said that they will not cease flights into Denpasar (Bali).

We are toughening up against irrational terrorists attack. And it seems like we have understood, finally, that in this long pursuit to eradicate terrorism, collateral damage is inevitable. (And if I might add for all my wonderful readers out there, as long as it's not in my backyard.)

No comments: