Saturday, March 18, 2006

Size matters

Size matters

Those who know me know that I am big. Fat. Round. Whatever.

So I flew to Australia on a Boeing 747. I typically dislike flying on 747s. The last time I took a 747 a few years ago, I found the seat small and tight and the pitch was hardly enough for me to stop my knees from knocking into the row in front.

This time around, the seats were wide - comparatively, I could wriggle my bum in the seat and adopt a couple of seating leaning positions.

There was this woman who is probably 5 feet flat at most (1.52 m) and her hips were 1.5 times mine.

She first complained that the seats were so small.

Then she went to the toilet midway during the flight and when she returned, she told her friends that the loo was so tiny.

The toilet design on a plane beats some of the toilet designs in Canberra hands down. Rydges Hotel, where I stayed in, had a ground floor gentlemen's room with a door that opens into a pillar. It would have taken a gymnast or an acrobat to get past that door to enter the toilet. I nearly couldn't manoeuvre myself out.

I wonder what would have befallen Miss Big Hips.

No comments: