Sunday, February 24, 2008

Man of semi-leisure

That's my new profession.

And I'm loving it.

I'm no longer chasing after rainbows or thirsting for power.

Instead, I guard my free time with my life and resist doing anything not worth doing.

I am still gainfully employed, albeit I dictate my terms of employment. I still get a decent amount of bread and butter. But I am no longer interested in cheap picnic ham in disgusting quantities. I prefer high class applewood smoked leg of ham.

In short, quality - and not quantity - has become the pursuit du jour.

I have time to do what I like to do and I have time to rest. To take a walk down a path and smell the flowers along the way.

I consider myself retired at this moment and what I am doing is really post-retirement stuff. Of course, I do not rule out beginning a second career, something on a higher plateau of human existence.

Power is addictive. But clinging on to power is like clutching at moonbeams. You cannot but be dictated to if you want to stay on your high perch.

Freedom and life, however, are very different but yet equally powerful things. Once you get them, you would never want to cede them. And they are yours to keep because you know how you can work things around to keep them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AH! You have finally seen the light!

snoosn said...

Welcome to a part of my world. We are still different, and of course you still get a decent amount of bread & butter. I don't get any.

Looking back at the 2.5 years of my unemployment, I realised that I have taken a slower pace and enjoying life a bit more, appreciate nature & all...

I'm all ready to look into a possible business venture like a snack bar type of things. I'm presently helping a friend to get his restaurant started. Should be a good learning experience for me.

Take care & I know you will enjoy life...

T. F. Stern said...

We were intended to work and so we do what we can. Some find soft ways to get hard things done while others never figure it out doing menial tasks and die unhappy. I suppose we should be grateful for a chance to make a living that supplies our needs along with a few extras; after that we are simply marking time.