Just made a large pot, I really mean pot - soup pot, of tea because I don't have a teapot. Don't laugh. I really don't have a teapot.
I love the tea I made for two reasons. First, a close friend gave it to me at a barbecue some time back. It is a treasured gift. Second, the tea tastes wonderful. Smells heavenly. And it cleanses the palate very well.
Then when the tea was steeping in the pot, I checked my email and the following email came in. A little on the emotional side but it does have its value. Indeed, it is in heat that you know the true strength of character. I'll share it nonetheless. Oolong tea - an obvious Chinese slant to it - mainly because the Chinese are one of the few races who delight in the bitter tastes of various tea because at the end of it, a faint sweetness lingers on the tongue. There is a Chinese saying for that: Sweetest comes after the most intense trials. Here's the story:
OOLONG TEA
A carrot, an egg, and a cup of Oolong tea. You will never look at a cup of Oolong the same way again.
A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.
Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed Oolong tea. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.
In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.
Then she ladled the Oolong out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, 'Tell me what you see.'
'Carrots, eggs, and Oolong tea,' she replied.
Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard boiled egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the Oolong. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'
Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The Oolong tea was unique, however. After they were in the boiling water , they had changed the water color and taste.
'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a Oolong tea?
Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?
Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart? Or am I like the Oolong tea? The tea actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the tea, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a Oolong tea?
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.
The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches. When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.
Share this message to those people who mean something to you; to those who have touched your life in one way or another; to those who make you smile when you really need it; to those who make you see the brighter side of things when you are really down; to those whose friendship you appreciate; to those who are so meaningful in your life.
4 comments:
I'd love to get u guys a teapot if I can find a good one.
In fact, we don't use teapot at home too. I practically brew the tea in a container. LOL
Exactly.
What use do we have for chi chi bone china teapot, tea cups and saucers when it is next to impossible to wear a corset, dress up in lacy garments, wear a big white hat, look ghastly pale and gossip nastily with fellow tea guests? :)
Oh, not to mention we are also missing scones, strawberry jam, butter and clotted cream and all sorts of English tea cakes to go along with the tea...
So, don't bother. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got the swing!
Lessons are taught in many ways, well done my friend.
T. F.,
Thank you. You are a wealth of experience and a great teacher yourself.
Post a Comment