If this were a rhetorical question, then the answer is obvious. So, in a way, I have answered my own question. But I believe some of you out there will not be too plaeased with me tackling a trivial case.
This is the next intractable problem, following up from my earlier question - what is it that will gain me nirvana (with the exception of endless meditation and hoping that I can cross the seas of temptation etc etc). I know myself well enough that I can't make it. Not that way, at least.
The recent financial fiasco was one of the reasons why I shifted my thought processes a little. One thing that I begin asking is if status quo must be preserved at all costs. If we decide that we cannot allow things to break, then we will forever be rummaging through our toolkits to plug each and every leak. Have we considered that some things are best replaced? (No, I'm not switching to supporting Obama/Biden.)
One common trait that I notice in problem solving these days is the extremely short duration given for a complete solution. Another trait, which is common among certain companies and organisations is the availability of money (as a part of the solution, be it to buy the solution or as the solution itself). As a result, we are plagued with a whole lot of stop-gap measures which, like makeshift tourniquets, staunch the blood loss for the moment but in the long run causes the limb to turn gangrenous. After that, blood poisoning comes along. Instead of accepting amputation as the final solution, the patient asks for blood transfusions to prolong life.
I may be wrong but I am rather certain that people loathe change - except for cars, houses, clothes and sex partners - even if they really need it. There are many reasons why they resist change. Not wanting to be exposed may be right up there at the top of the list. Rightly or wrongly, people are fearful of being exposed. This could be a reason why the Chinese are playing musical chairs with their leaders recently. No one is certain how long s/he is going to stay in that post, so each had better stay out of trouble.
So the Chinese has come up with one solution. The US has also used the solution for the longest time - the US President cannot serve more than two terms. That is why Hillary Clinton is not in the running. Now, I don't know if it is more than two terms in all or more than two terms consecutively, so I am not sure if she could not run again in four years' time. Honestly, she may have a chance if Obama/Biden don't make it this time around. Can't wait to see a Palin/Hillary slug-fest. MeeeeeeoooooW!
So, the result of keeping people on their toes means that people try to cement their positions by concentrating on doing the greatest dog-and-pony show during their term and not care about what and who feeds the dog and the pony. They care even less if there is melamine in the feed.
Problems snowball. The carpet starts to bulge, bones start falling out of closets when their doors are left ajar. Money is used to cover cracks and smoothen the tracks. But before long, the problems achieve critical mass and a reaction occurs. Then what?
Ok, so keeping people on their toes is not going to work. So we keep people in their positions for a long time. Not working either. Once people realise their power post is lifelong tenure, performance goes down. And with permanence comes hanky panky. Not a good solution either.
So, what do we do?
Mother Nature has already shown us the way. We have day and night. We have the four seasons. We have calamities and catastrophes. We have typhoons, cyclones, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, tidal waves. For everything else, we have the Bermuda Triangle. In more recent, Mother Nature has invented a new type of human beings called terrorists.
For each cleansing method Mother Nature has invented, there is some problem that we can solve with it. For example, melamine should be used as part of the plastic bomb for terrorists. Hurricanes and cyclones should go to the Middle East and Africa with their water problems while volcanoes should erupt closer to archipelagos to help them gain better inter-island connection. Tidal waves are good after major parties (Times Square New Year Party) and tsunamis are probably good for people who wish to pick fish rather than angle for them.
So, I believe the answers are all there. We've just been getting our questions wrong. Now you have the answer. Does that turn you into a Smartie?
Next time - Does every answer require a question?
2 comments:
Short answer - NO! Everything does NOT need an answer.
In the same way, not every answer requires a question.
Hmmm. Realises corner is getting very small very quickly and there is an awful lot of paint around me.
Into the first group - and picking up on the international finance fiasco (I am thinking that could have its own acronym of "IFF" as in "Iff...?") - I would toss the whole game theory of economics.
In amongst all of the hooha and hand-wringing, and without in any way diminishing the impact that a 1929 style crash might have on me and thee, is the fact that it is people and not the system that is at fault. It was not any fault that brought down communism any more than capitalism is (apparently) flawed. The failure (in both cases) has been the consequence of people being necessarily part of the system. The system does not exist without people and the converse is true as well (before you ask the question).
The second is perhaps best evidenced by the Americans, "We hold these truths to be self-evident".
the human condition
Post a Comment