Friday, September 26, 2008

Overcrowded Buffet

Went to a buffet last Saturday. Ok, I know this is dated but you can see that I've given it a long enough cool-down time so that I do not seem writing like a ranting lunatic.

The buffet was handling more diners than its only chef can manage. At no time were all the trays filled and more often than not, when a new tray of food came out, you'd better be hawk-eyed and home in on the tray because the food will be wiped out by the time the fifth diner in the queue hits the tray. This is no surprise as people who manage to get to the food has to take for their group or the rest would not get any. And given that the food put out was of such small quantities (how could two braised ducks feed 100, for example), there is more certainty that the food would run out!

After a good half-an-hour, I decided to speak with the manager over the unacceptable food situation. I've hardly managed to get anything! I had had to scrape the bottom of the porridge pot to get the porridge trapped in the corners so that I can get anything at all to eat.

The waitress told me the manager does not work evenings. After that, she came back and asked if I had anything to speak with the manager, since I asked to see him. So I told her that the food situation was not ideal. I also asked if the supervisor was around. She said she would get him.

We waited for the supervisor but to no avail. A couple trays of food came and were emptied out even before I manage to reach them. I made many trips to the buffet line, only to be greeted by empty trays. Soon, some soy sauce braised chicken appeared. I was third in line and so I took a number of pieces of chicken with blood oozing out back to the table.

I sliced the pieces and let the blood spill over the plate. Raw chicken is unfit to serve because it poses a salmonella risk. So this time, I called for the bill. When the bill arrived, I said I would pay after I speak with the supervisor.

Over I outlined my unhappiness over the situation to the supervisor; I told him of my other wonderful visits and how that night, they over-stretched themselves. I suggested that they should either turn away walk-ins, since they are already unable to cater to those who are there on group meals, or place a note at the entrance to say that they will be slow in replenishing food (though they hadn't been fast, anyway). I also complained about the "raw" chicken. The supervisor had the cheek to tell me that the raw chicken issue was a perennial one and the chef is aware. He then asked me to tell the chef about the complaint myself.

"This is your admin matter and it is not for the guest to tell the chef!" I retorted. "Anyway, what can you do to make up for the evening?"

"I can give you a discount of 10%."

"What can a discount of 10% do? I hardly got food to eat and I spent almost two hours on a simple 45 minute meal!"

"I can't do anything else. At my level, that's the most I can do. I'll call the chef."

"Please."

The table of 5 beside ours watched intently for sparks and fireworks. They were expecting to see what would happen in the end. But I had guts and gumption. They don't even have half as much brain as one hair on my leg!

Before long, the chef came out and after another round of the same discussion points, the chef went, "So, did the supervisor offer you anything?"

"Yeah. 10%, but what is 10%?" I really questioned the sincerity of the offer.

"So you want me to sign on your bill? I can sign on your bill. You want me to sign on your bill? I can do that..."

"That'll be nice. Thank you."

Knowing that he had erred in his judgement, he stormed off and took care of the bill with us as his "guests".

Moral of story: Having only one chef spoils the entire buffet.

2 comments:

Sunit said...

BURP! Or in your case, burp. :)

Quinsy said...

ROFL. Bitchy as ever.

Made my day.