Thursday, March 26, 2009

B*** S***

On Saturday, organisers hope to get 1 billion people to believe and take part in their BS.

These 1 billion people are supposed to switch off every d**n thing in their homes and live in total darkness and quiet to save an hour's worth of electricity.

These 1 billion people are supposed to believe that our philandering ways have led to a crisis called global warming.

These 1 billion people are supposed to think that their turning off their electrical equiment for an hour, and then blasting them the rest of the year - regardless of need - to make up for it, is going help preserve the earth for a period of time enough for a new generation to spawn.

1 billion of such people are already in existence. We don't another 1 billion. We don't need to be them. Look at the people around the world who have no electricity. Oops, make it no home, not even basic shelter. Aren't they the most ardent supporters of your BS? They have more than sufficiently atoned for our sins. Why should we pretend that we need to disrupt the sick system even more.

These 1 billion people are going to tax the generators so badly at the end of their 1hour of hypocritical BS when they reignite all the equipment at the same time. If I suffer a power outage, I'll engage all other sane folks to initiate a class action suit against the perpetrators of such BS.

How can 1 billion people, almost 15% of the world's population, all be tricked into believing that global warming is a man-made occurrence? Haven't scientists shown with historical ice ages that the earth is merely going through a hot stage now, and then our next ice age will come later?

1 billion *more* morons. That's an assault on our combined IQ scores. For that one hour, we lose all the geniuses to the drama-mamas, who think with their hearts and groins rather than their brains. Didn't some people suggest that the 1 hour of BS be spent in fornication? How that idea sucks! How is the heaving and panting not adding to greenhouse carbon dioxide gases? And then what happens when our population grows by another 200 million more in 9 months?

Fortunately, these 1 billion people will NOT include me.

The world will end. But it will not be because of me, but because of the 1 billion people who have chosen to vote for "This Planet." Earth Hour? For heaven's sake, grow a brain for a start.

7 comments:

The probligo said...

What a sad and disillusioned old man you are becoming Eugene! Perish the thought that you might follow Al's lead and blame it on me.

I am very much looking forward to it - especially if the powers that be turn off the street lighting at the same time.

We have our daughter and family staying with us for the weekend and hopefully I will take No1 grandson out to look at the stars. Not that he would "see" them, as he is only a couple months old; but allow an old man these simple pleasures... I would love to see the night sky in its true glory just this once.

The biggest fear I have is that some (sadly misguided) people will replace the electric light with candles and lamps and will end up burning down their house.

On the other side there are already those who have seen the idea as a darstardly government plot to accustom people to having no power so that they can sell the generation plant off to private interests...

Can't please everyone.

Anonymous said...

I've never been an unsad, illusioned young man. So, why would that change as I age? Illusion... Ha!

I am going to put on the nicest DVD I have, turn up the volume so that everyone nearby who are electively deprive him- or herself of an hour of useful time would regret doing it! What a terrible waste of the best time of the week!

Ah, I shan't waste my breath on some BS initiative that I have absolutely only distaste for. What sheer hypocrisy. And stupidity. I don't even use much electricity. So why must I pretend this is so important when people elsewhere are blasting their heaters into spring?

Humbug!

T. F. Stern said...

I'm going to go camping in the back yard, start a fire by rubbing sticks together and eat nothing but raw meat since I've never been able to start a fire that way. I'm ready for Algore's brave new world of environmental insanity.

Anonymous said...

Stern,

GOD FORBID! Your generation worked so hard to provide my generation the opportunities to warm up the earth even more!

Why should you banish yourself into the backyard and live like it is the stone age of yore again. Live in your modern stone/brick house. Turn up the aircon/heater. Switch on all the lights, fire up the grill, eat ice cream, watch TV...

Don't ever believe the BS!

The probligo said...

Tef, I read somewhere - it may well have been Lin Yutang - that man has lost his ability to play. So that is why I am going to use the opportunity to indulge myself in a small time of play...

If others believe that turning off the lights for an hour is going "to make a difference" where is the harm in that? It is no different to the dangers that I might present to those who believe in this god or that. What difference does my belief make?

None whatsoever.

Tef said...

That's right, Probligo. People of this world indulge in symbolism. I may have been too critical of them.

Perhaps they can take feel great when their bosses given them a symbolic pay raise, their loved ones give them symbolic intimacy, their children given them symbolic respect, the teachers teach knowledge in some symbolic manner... just like the folks believe a symbolic act like switching off lights for an hour is going to help them feel less guilty. So, how about cutting me some symbolic slack when I make a symbolic protest?

By the way, the BS only requires people to turn off non-essential lights; the folks here want absolutely no lights. Go figure.

But the bottomline for me is this: my place is mostly in darkness because I am a as-needed light user. It's 7 pm now and I've just had a light on. Nothing else. So, I do *not* do something for symbolic reasons. I walk my talk. And therefore, I have the moral authority to call a spade (hypocrite) a spade (hypocrite).

ron said...

Huh! There is a soul-lution. The sun the moon and the gas that comes out of my ....!