A student missed the draft submission deadline last Friday. Fine, since many students asked for and were granted extensions (yes, don't doubt me, my fuse has become much longer and more inert these days), I decided to give her an extension by 24 hours to Saturday, 5 pm without her asking for it.
On Sunday just past midnight, I checked the returns against the namelists and realised five students have missed their Saturday, 5 pm deadlines. So I wrote a note to remind them to send in their papers soonest possible. I asked them not to ask for any more extensions but to send in the papers once they receive the email.
Papers streamed in. One girl placed the draft in my school mailbox on Saturday afternoon. Hey, I'm not that well-paid to go there. Another guy did the same late Friday and apologised for his shortsightedness in not sending a soft copy. No problem either.
A second girl explained she misunderstood our conversation regarding her submissions and thought she had a longer extension than that. (Of course, she did not write me the email to confirm, which I didn't bother to point out). I accepted her explanation and granted her an extension to Sunday 5 pm. See, Mr Nicer and Nicer guy, right?
Another guy wrote to say that he's still helping out with his family after his cousin got killed in an accident. Fine, he got an extension to Monday, noon.
And there is Miss Ying YIN Ack Shen, who did not bother to reply to my email. She submitted her draft on Monday at 1 pm and promptly asked to be granted a writing conference since I won't be in school on Thursday. However, on 10 Mar, I already informed the entire class of my absence and the affected students signed up for new conferencing slots! She had her excuses and her story but until she can produce the medical certificates to support her "I was very sick" excuse, I don't think she can escape the penalty for 3 absences. I mean, how sick can one be? No student can claim that s/he/it cannot contact me because my email and cellphone contacts are permanently at the top of the announcements list in the class page on the university network. Anyone, she will likely pay for her irresponsibility; one writing conference counts for 3 presences or absences for the 14-week, 28-meeting course. Good luck to her!
I cannot believe how infinitely more patient I have become but certainly, the limits still exist. Just watch it when I swipe my tail at you.
No comments:
Post a Comment