Friday, March 27, 2009

For Lucy

Lucy, an Akita bitch, belonging to a couple of my friends in NJ died of cancer last Boxing Day. She was 10.

If Lucy could talk, she'll make a fine lady. She's always so friendly and agreeable. She used to leave my pants all covered with doggie hair whenever she saw me. Bob used to be so apologetic - I'll wipe them off, he'll say - but I got past the initial discomfort and never looked back. Lucy was simply Lucy. She pressed her body against people's legs as her way of hugging. And she loved giving hugs.

Lucy was also exceptionally well-behaved. Her great manners can be seen at the dinner table. Despite her eagerness to get scraps off the table, she can sit and wait. That is one amazing thing that I never seen dogs do, at least not up close. She loved it when I spirited scraps off the table and she'd take those pieces off my hand, making sure that she never bit me.

I was really impressed when Lucy licked the plates clean after our dinner. Small wonder the dishwasher always delivered clean plates after washing. Lucy had done half the job for it!

What left the most indelible impression on me was Lucy's penchant for mint. She used to eat toothpaste because she dug mint. Till I introduced her to Wrigley's mint sweets. She'd eagerly answer my calls because of the mints, I guess. It was hard doing rationing, especially when she would look expectantly at you, hoping that you'd acquiesce and slip her another mint. Hearing her chew on those mints was another wonder altogether.

Even though our contact was just a few days, Lucy left a deep impression. I look back at the days I was a guest at my friends' and she'd be one of the highlights.

Lucy's definitely in doggie heaven now. I was told my friends will be adopting another Akita. But Lucy will always have a very special place in my heart, too.

1 comment:

snoosn said...

wished i had the chance to introduce you to Bodhi...

:(