You are to read the following case study very carefully before you attempt the questions that follow. Answer each question in continuous prose. Each answer should not exceed 250 words. You have 48 hours to complete this assignment.
You should type out your answers on A4 or Letter sized paper, 1 inch margins all round, 12 point Times New Roman font. You may submit your answers online in the comments column following this post.
You are reminded not to repeat your points in different answers. You are reminded of the need for clear and concise writing.
Scenario
I was shopping for a new rice cooker when a Chinese PRC woman started kicking up a big fuss at the store.
She accused the service staff of being rude to her; some snarky remark was involved, or so it seemed. Ms PRC shouted at the service staff for not answering her question on how good a pot she was interested in was and also pointed out that the side comment that was made about her type was not appropriate.
Ms PRC then started screaming. In addition, she took to banging and kicking the items at the store.
Questions
1. What did Ms PRC do wrong?
2. What should Ms PRC have done?
Reflections
1. If you were Ms PRC, how would you have reacted in this situation so you can extract maximum benefit from the stall?
2. Do you think it is ethical to extract maximum benefit from the stall? Why?
Role Play
1. Imagine you are a shopper in the store who thinks one of the two women is out of line. Write a retort to show how you could take the side one of the women and start hurling insults back at the "bitch".
2. If you are the manager of the store, explain how will you resolve this issue.
Higher Order Thinking Skills
1. In our social context where we are trying to attract foreign talent to contribute to our workforce and population, how do you think you will help these foreign talent integrate themselves into our society?
2. Do you think soft skills, such as child bearing, child rearing, fighting, quarrelling, screaming, shouting, accusing and insistently talking loudly everywhere, should be part of the criteria for admitting foreign talent? How would one test such skills?
2 comments:
The incident you describe is all too common these days (and it seems to occur all over the world), unfortunately. Unless Ms. PRC were directly affecting me or someone I cared about, I would just leave while muttering under my breath (as I do all too often, "GROW UP AND GET A LIFE!")
I would return to that store later, or find what I was looking for elsewhere. Perhaps this is why I do shopping on-line? I don't know, but it is easier to get reviews and find good deals on-line than in-person (and not have to encounter misbehaving children in adult clothing.)
While your academic exercise is interesting, I'll pass. Been there, done that, wrote the dissertation and successfully defended it... not something I wish to do again. But thank you for the offer of such an exercise.
BHD,
Incidentally, the first thing I did was to move right out of carnage zone.
Still the shrill voice of Ms PRC rang in my ears as I ran away from harm.
Post a Comment