Perhaps I should be more specific. Where have all the tomyam goong gone?
Gone were the traditional looking stalls manned by older Thai folks who cook a mean tomyam goong.
I only had two bowls in Thailand, one in the Platinum Shopping Centre (C)opposite where I stayed, and one in the Airport Departure Lounge (F). Both did not make the mark and I am honestly disappointed.
I need my fix at Old Airport Road soon.
Another thing I missed as good Phad Thai.
These days, street hawkers have pre-fried, pre-coloured, pre-flavoured rice noodles - they are really stained appalling pink - and when you order, the noodles are tossed in a hot skiller with some other ingredients and hey presto! You get your "fart Thai". Tastes really bad.
I missed my mango salad.
The weather was incredibly warm and the lack of crowds meant that if you were to buy food off the hawkers in the street, you risk getting stuff that is lying around there for quite some time already. If the local Thais won't buy it, then tourists had better not buy it too.
I also had a very lousy lunch at a restaurant serving Hong Kong tim sum near the Asok BTS station. While the tim sum buffet went at 159 baht ++ per head, I decided to go a la carte. It was bad. The only saving grace was the roasted duck slices that came with the noodles. The tim sum and noodles were oodles of evil. Trust me, a Hong Konger would probably prefer to eat his/her own socks than that meal!
Despite the misses, there were a few gems. I had a lovely coagulated blood soup from one of the backlane stalls in the Pratunam area.
I had some nice noodles at Damnernsaduak Floating Market. Yes, Uncle Anthony Bourdain went there when he filmed one of his travel/food shows. I also had a great coconut ice cream there and some excellent Thai pancakes.
On the same trip but prior to visiting the floating market, I also had some nice noodles at Maeklong Market. Bourdain had gone there too. And it is true that the market is set up alongside the railway tracks and when the train runs, market vendors rush to remove their wares, only to restitute them to the original position right after the train passed. The Maeklong Station is located just next to the canal. Amazing sights.
And then I freaked out eating Thai noodles for the rest of the trip, at least fish ball noodles!
Verdict: Culinary Misadventure
No comments:
Post a Comment