Somewhere sometime some part of the common sewer pipes was clogged and I returned home to a kitchen half flooded by washing water, grime, food bits and all.
Took a deep breath and plunged my hand into the drainage hole. Water way clear. (So paramedic like - check airway.)
Went to the neighbourhood store to get a manual toilet pump. Came up some 15 minutes later to find that the waters have inundated the entire kitchen.
Attempted to pump the water back down. There was no way I was getting any traction because the force of the water gushing out of the hole prevented me from even establishing a firm closure. (Much like poorly sealed mouths in a CPR attempt.)
So in desperation, I started baling water and pouring it down the rubbish chute. Titanic is sinking! I mean, the house is flooding up. Worse, when I studied the renovation, I realised the retaining portion of the kitchen toilet is HIGHER than that to the hallway adjoining the kitchen. That means if the kitchen is flooded the waters will come right into the hall and rooms.
Ok, grim picture.
Ditched the baling for a while and decided to make calls. At 7.30 pm, the outlook is less than upbeat.
My plumber refused to take the job because he diagnosed the problem and said that it should be taken care of by the folks maintaining the estate (aka the Town Council).
I called the emergency services since the Town Council offices were already closed for the day. Lady at the emergency services said, it is in your house, find your own plumber.
Took a deep breath.
Miss, I "tak cuci" (didn't wash anything), didn't turn on water, how come water come out of the "hole"?
Like dat...? Sir, one moment yah?
She finally delivered the good news. We'll send a plumber down to take a look. If he diagnoses the problem as the Town Council's, they will resolve. If it is not their fault, then I'll have to look for my own plumber.
Sure. I'm winning this battle now.
Back to baling the water after informing my landlord and landlady.
But the rate of the surge was so fast, I had to call my housemate back to take pictures and a video of it. I mean, what would happen if Plumber came and the insurge stopped?
So he cut short his lunch and came back.
Meanwhile, I have baled water for an hour already. I think I am suitable to join the Uniguely Singapore yacht race around the world. If anything, I can bale water out of the yacht when I am not seasick.
Just then my friend came over for a scheduled visit. Not long after my housemate came back and he took wonderful pics. He took over the baling as my friend and I worked on his stuff.
Not long after, the plumber came.
Then the landlord and landlady arrived.
The pipes were finally cleared but the after math, I'm still clearing.
No comments:
Post a Comment