Tuesday, December 04, 2007

On Heathrow

Question: I heard Heathrow is thinking of adding a third runway.

Reply from top gun of a well-regarded airline: They think too long.

Well, it is already 10 years and counting.

4 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

I fly only once in a while. Way back in the early 70's was the first time I ever flew into an airport with side by side runways (Atlanta). I started getting worried as I looked out the window at another plane on final approach wondering if they were playing a game of "chicken" to see which would land and which would veer off at the last minute.

Anonymous said...

They are called parallel runways, dear friend. With enough separation between them (2 km, I think), both runways can do "independent runway operations". This means that aircraft can take off and land on one runway (with air traffic control clearance) without any problems regarding horizontal separation. Also helps to maximise the traffic flow at the airport.

- Tef

T. F. Stern said...

Tef,

So I found out that day; but not before my expressed concerns as indicated in the previous comment. I fly once, maybe twice a year to visit my folks or to a locksmith convention.

Houston now has three parallel runways at IAH. One of them has planes go over a major road just prior to touch down where it appears as if they might land on the road rather than the runway to those not familiar with the set up.
Visit Yahoo Maps and type in "Lee Road at FM 1960 Houston Texas" and it should bring up the area just north of IAH so you can see what Im referring to.

Anonymous said...

I believe you are referring to Runway 26R, second runway north of the international terminal? IAH is also called George Bush Intercontinental, right? By the way, IAH also has a fourth "cross" runway (presumably to cater to the occasional cross winds).

Anyway, based on the brake marks ,I think the south Runway 27 is more often used. That's near Highway 59.

As with all airport designs, overflying highways is rather normal. Statistically speaking, you'd have less collateral damage if a plane crashes while overflying cars on a highway than houses.

(One of my fave TV programmes at this moment is Air Crash Investigations. I know how well some folks fly a plane. How oddly comforting...)

- Tef