I just told a head of department that I will not be teaching his subject once my contract ends. It simply takes too much time preparing for the lessons and marking the assignments of that subject.
There are simply too many books to teach from and too much of the lessons require extensive planning and preparations. And the monkeys - those damned monkeys - need such close supervision! One can go through the assignment to be done and once they start doing it for submission, they give you crap. As a result, I spend all my time grading crap.
Part of the problem comes from the fact that the work assigned could be too tough for the kids but who am I to say so since the head and the school do not want to come to terms with the kids' true abilities?
With the assignments so tough and the tests so easy, the kids are confused as to what standards they ought to meet to do well for the subject. As their teacher, I am confused too. So, I guess it's best to say goodbye to the subject.
After all, as an adjunct, if I do not dictate my terms for my employment, then I should simply stay employed full-time and tolerate all the shit flung in my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment