Sunday, March 09, 2008

Rate her IQ

Gave a test during the middle of the week.

My usual practice is for the class to clear their desks of all unnecessary books and stuff before I begin any class. So, during a test where the answers were to be written on the test paper, students were asked to put away everything except writing materials.

The test was a breeze for those who studied and a nightmare for those who didn't. It was a vocabulary test and all the kids had to do was to complete the spellings or match the words to their synonyms.

In fact, to help them with the test, a practice paper which largely mimicked this actual paper was given to the students at the start of the week. I immediately graded the papers (at the expense of the other work I had to do) and returned the scripts to them so that they could prepare for the test.

I digress. As the test progressed, I told the class that people who had completed the paper could rest by placing their heads on the table. So as more and more heads met the table tops, I asked if the class finished the paper. I got a chorus of yeses. Then I asked if I could collect the paper. I got no response.

So I asked if anyone needed the remaining time to check their answers. One girl - the same girl whom I caught during the middle of the test reading a Chinese newspaper and I warned her against such acts - put up her hands.

I was cursing inside me and so I granted everyone the last 5 minutes. The next thing, I saw her rummaging under her desk. I sneaked up and caught her handling the practice quiz paper. She was holding the paper in her hands and I caught her red-handed.

Of course she denied that she was copying. And of course, I insisted that she copied since the paper was in her hands.

Sweet victory. She taped the Claymore to herself and then passed me the detonator on a gold platter adorned with glittering diamonds. HOW COULD I RESIST?

This girl is also the one who disturbs the class with the voice of a thunder goddess but when you ask her to read a passage aloud, she'll read with her mosquito voice.

Having caught her was probably the highlight of the week!

I leave my smart readers to decide what her IQ really is.

No comments: