Sunday, May 04, 2008

My Herb Garden

It all started out with this article in the Financial Times, which recommended that apartment dwellers like me would do well to grow herbs and vegetables out of pots. In fact, the author claimed that the plants would do better in a pot than a piece of land.

This was an unanticipated dose of confidence. I did not think I would get anything to thrive on the seventh storey, devoid of sunshine. But the week that the chef friend of mine was here, I got pots and pots of herbs. 6 pots to be exact: Spanish Corriander, Dill, Rosemary, Tarragon, Lemon Balm and Rockets. In addition, I transplanted my half-dead, half-year old basil plant and sowed 7 basil seeds, of which 3 has germinated.

Indeed, curiosity got the better of me. I just wanted to see if I could grow these wonderful herbs in the corridor outside my place. At this moment, all the plants are alive. My half dead basil has outperformed the rest of the plants. My rockets are getting used to the heat. My Spanish Corriander, with its serrated-edged leaves are doing great. Rosemary seem to be sprouting new leaves. Lemon balm is abundant. Tarragon and dill are doing great.

It's so sweet looking at the plants and watering them twice a day. The first watering is done in a rushed manner - just before work, while the second one is usually done with more love. There is time to admire now Mother Nature coaxes the next leaves to come out of those plants day by day and tell the plants they are doing great. I hope to have a functional herb garden where I can walk out with a pair of scissors and snip what I need for a meal. That would be divine.

My next target would be to grow tomatoes. I know who to blame if the 'toes don't grow fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

somehow, i am sceptical.

snoosn said...

Glad to hear that your herbs garden is doing well, mine is pretty dead from the lack of love & regular spray.

Just a note on tomatoes, u need at least a 20cm deep pot; sticks to tie the filmsy/soft stems from the tomato plants; good sunlight (best if direct); 2 months before u harvest your first tomato.

Good luck Bro! :)