Monday, June 30, 2008

A Sobering Thought

On Thinking About Atonement With a Parent
By: Jan Goldman

Acknowledgement: On Thinking About Atonement With a Parent was written when I was in a poetry writing course. There was an assignment to write a poem on the subject of atonement in relation to a parent. My first reaction was that I had nothing to say. I had been the “good child” who was responsible and brought home the bacon. This poem than came out of that “nothing to say.” It surprised me with its depth of feeling.

How does the good child atone
the one with no regret
whose small shoulders ached
with the weight of responsibility placed
early, early, early.
The one who put before you
a banquet table of accomplishment
for your feasting, for your portion.
The one who stilled her own heart's music
and filled her nostrils with
the acrid smell of caution
for your name's sake.
No, I owe you no atonement.
Better to atone for myself
for the lost path in the wilderness
for the wanderlust not indulged
for the lovers never taken.
Now in the late October of my years
with the harvest mostly gathered,
it's your turn.
It's your turn to atone for me.


Source: Families, Systems, & Health. Vol.25 (3) pp. 354-354.

I think this is one of the most amazing poems ever written. How does a good child atone? Hasn't he already done his penance by being the good child?

For all you good boys and good girls out there.

No comments: