Sigh! When I went on my Taiwan trip, I asked my neighbour to help water my herbs.
When I came back, I saw my tarragon in a worse than terrible shape. It looks like it was wilting. The leaves were dark though the tips were still fresh.
It was late in the night and I didn't take a close look until the next day when I realise the entire plant was enveloped in some web. Darn! It must have been attacked by pests.
Sadly, I threw the entire plant away. I don't think I could save it given how advanced the scourge was and I was so not going to use pesticide on the plant since I intend to use the herbs. I wrapped the plant in a plastic bag together with the pot it was planted in and sent it down the rubbish chute.
Felt sad but what to do? That's part and parcel of gardening. And if these pests spread...
Now my basil are drying up. I wonder why... Is it because the weather had been too hot or if my pots had been too small or the soil levels are too low or... what?
I think one important lesson learnt is to go for the large mature plants straightaway from the nurseries. I am so not a good father to the plants since they need more attention than my work would allow me to give them. I can manage the two waterings a day but I certainly can't talk to them, prune them (except when I rob them for their leaves for my food) or sayang them.
I'm getting replacements for sure.
2 comments:
Sorry to hear of your potty herbs, they truly need a lot of care and attention. I have the exact same experience whenever I return from my trip. My houseboy insisted he watered the plants twice a day, so what more can I say?
Well, we are city boys and not born farmers (though my mother was a great farmer). I find that things get easier after a couple of failed attempts. Better luck next time!
I didn't think it was the lack of proper watering. The infestation was probably the main cause. Where it came from is anyone's guess.
I also realised that my herbs are battered every time the corridors are washed. The high powered water jets harm the plants. I'm going to get them elevated soon, so that the plants get sunlight and stay out of harm's way.
Post a Comment