Friday, August 08, 2008

The Counterfeiters

I think I watched The Counterfeiters on my way back from Taiwan on KrisWorld, the SQ IFE System. In case you are not aware, the movie won the 2007 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.

I have never been much of a mainstream movie person. I didn't like many films. But I usually enjoy an indie flick or a foreign language film. Heck, I even enjoyed the cockneyed Indian movies about how this poor guy (girl) falls in love with a rich girl (guy) and their family vehemently protests the social class imbalance.

Enter Banana Trees, Coconut Trees... But these days, expensive flicks they've become. Enter Rome Spanish Steps, Eiffel Tower of Paris etc etc. I've since stopped watching these when I realised that all the director and cast wanted were a free holiday. Man, how can a broke guy go to the Spanish Steps and dance up and down those damned steps? Crazy!

Still, I must say that The Counterfeiters was an interesting film.

Actually, the only reason why I recalled this was T. F.'s invitation for me to buy a good printer and start printing money. I guess if I have the skill and know how, I'll do a wad of USD 10 bills and spend it in Las Vegas. I mean, easy come, easy go. Who knows I might even get to launder them while I'm there.

I guess many of us, when younger, would love money. I don't know if I could say I love money now. I can't do without it, I confess, but to say that I'm in love with money is a little simplistic.

I still enjoy unexpected small windfalls but other than that, money is hard earned. Hard come, but still easy go. What would I do if I had a money printing machine? Not much, I guess. I'd be too lazy to do all the printing. I'll more likely ask Shade to help me print some and then I just take and spend. No, forget it. Shade will kill the machine. He'll attempt to print gazillion pieces, whatever the amount is. The machine will just die because the edges become dull from excessive use.

The Counterfeiters is an interesting show to watch. It is amazing how the skill to swindle is actually a skill that kept the guy alive. There is much irony in the show, despite it being rather dark.

I remember when the Nazis finally surrendered and the group of counterfeiters were found by their countrymen. The conmen were nearly shot because their countrymen found them "too fat" to be survivors of war! The Nazis kept them well-fed so that they could devote all their energies to work towards the diabolical ends of ruining the US and UK economies with lots of fake notes.

If you have time, have a watch.

2 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

Tef,

Las Vegas would be the last place you'd want to attempt to drop some funny money. Those folks have no sense of humor and, as they say, the desert is where they bury comedians who get caught. Those who get caught in Vegas stay in Vegas, six feet under.

Anonymous said...

I'll just say I got the cash from you, my snakehead-"Godfather" from Houston.

LOL.