Perhaps it is the reticent Asian ways. Or maybe it is the general reluctance of Asians to openly show approval or encouragement. Maybe Asians believe stinting on praises inspire people to shore up their performance in order to earn them. Or maybe Asians just take others for granted.
I am not sure. I am Asian myself.
Asian examiners and examination scorers hold fast to the belief that there is no such thing as a perfect performance. No essay should score more than 8 out of 10. Any Asian marker would rather be caught dead than award the score that a sublime essay truly deserves.
I used to be like that. However, the world out there does not bear this perverted mentality out.
Olympic gymnasts score 10.0 - the perfect score. Divers score close to perfect scores for well-executed dives. If the panel consists of Asian adjudicators, they'll all score less than 80%.
Asians need a fundamental review of such a mindset.
1 comment:
I'd fall into the catagory of saying that there is no such thing as a perfect 10.0 score in any competition. I would have to top off at 9.6 or 9.7 if there were other competitors left in a given event to leave room for the possibility that one of them might perform better; say with a 9.8.
The idea of giving away a perfect 10.0 while others are still in competition would be improper even if the probability of performing better were remote.
Post a Comment