There are a lot of posts of morals and ethics recently, both on my blogs as well as some blogs I'm reading.
The problems arise because different people guard different goal posts for the morals and ethics that they hold close to them.
As a result, no one thinks s/he is wrong. Often, one also thinks s/he may not be right.
This dilemma is called "moral relativism", one which moderate, thinking, sensible adults face.
How do we get remove the dilemma? There is no right or wrong or quick answer. It would also be naive to believe that by becoming a "moral or ethical absolutist", such problems will go away.
They never will because even absolute morals or ethics are not universal.
So you ask, do we then wring our hands in despair?
I don't think so. We should not do that. Instead, think of universal love. Do unto others what you would do unto your loved ones, your wife/husband, your parents, your children.
For example, if you won't feed them concrete dust enhanced walnut cookies, don't expect the rest of the world to eat them.
Perhaps by appealing to love, things might take a change for the better.
2 comments:
I suppose we all have our ideas about morals and express them as such. I can not force my morals on anyone else and they cannot force their morals on me. I don't think it hurts to express how you feel though.
I thought that moral relativity meant that morals were only relevent to the situation.
As far as morals are concerned I don't think that morals change ever but I do believe that the way people respond to them do.
The morals I deal with mostly in my web site are generally or in the past were generally accepted as set. Today I believe that moral relativism has destroyed our notion of freedom as a whole.
The result has not been more freedom but less.
So I guess you could pick on me and say that possibly I am wrong but my core postition that money and lying are at the root of the problems all across this country and will eventually lead to it's economic destruction unless we the people step up . But alas the people are smitten with moral relativity. So we have pretty much run the course of economic gain and reversal of this languid economic problem is going to happen. I hope this country likes the ride down to economic decay.
It would take a miracle to change this situation aaand I don't see that happening.
Post a Comment