Saturday, January 10, 2009

Errant Employees

Was at an outlet of a restaurant chain I frequent. Usually, I would not order the same dishes as my dining partner because I like to have variety. However, today, I decided to go for the same dishes because I was craving the same food.

The dishes arrived and both of us ordered rice topped with tonkatsu (deep fried breaded pork loin). We both removed the pork pieces and placed them on a dish. When I looked at the two portions, mine was at most half of what my friend got. This was unacceptable because this suggests poor quality control in the kitchen.

We called the waitress and impressed on her the situation. Not long later, the manager came, saw the portions and then said she would speak with the kitchen. She even had to take both portions into the kitchen to show them.

After a long while, a new, roughly equivalent portion was served. We actually had to remind them to serve. This time, the meat was way overdone. The bread crumbs were nearly burnt. The meat was tough as rubber.

I could have kicked up another fuss but I simply told the manager that I won't make her life hard. Anyway, it was just feedback that if they do not get their kitchen in order, their business was going to suffer.

Only then did I find out that the kitchen manager was on leave today and the kitchen crew had run amok.

What luck to have such errant employees.

2 comments:

The probligo said...

Some many years back there was a restaurant in Auckland here named "Coburg Rib Room". Its specialty dish was a full beef rib with both steaks attached (eye fillet and sirloin). With a few chips and a small salad it made a serious meal.

I ordered and my steak was delivered in good time. The gentleman at the next table received his about five minutes later and then after glancing in my direction several times and looking hard at his plate and mine he asked "Did you order an Adam's Rib?" which I had. "Look at mine" he said. His was only half the rib, cut lengthways so that the rib and the steaks were only half the thickness of mine.

The Maitre was promptly called, who then summoned the Manager. They left and two minutes later there was uproar from the kitchen. The manager emerged and quietly informed the guest that his meal would be replaced, and there would be no charge for his party's meal. Turned out the chef was taking one rib for every two split ribs he was preparing. At probably 20 or 30 per day that was a considerable amount of meat going out the door.

Anonymous said...

Good thing I resolved no longer to suffer in silence and then brood and bitch about things after that! These days, I get even immediately.