I had to give a short lecture to each class I teach on the above topics recently.
Is it so difficult to come to class prepared? All I ask are for readings to be done. How do I have a meaningful discussion if the readings are not done?
Is it so difficult to hand in your work on time? What do you mean by "the printers in the University are all faulty? I gave you more than 4 days to work on your paper. Jolly well have the paper printed first thing on Monday. There should be no reason why the paper cannot be handed in on Tuesday!
Is it so difficult to ask for an extension? I may not necessarily grant you one but a request is a sign of interest in the work. If you are not interested, the heck I am!
Is it so difficult to sign up for a timeslot to meet me for YOUR writing conference timing? It is YOUR writing conference, not mine. If you don't see me, you could end up getting a crap grade. The signing up sheet has been outside my door since Tuesday and 11.40 pm last night, YOU ask me if I have time on Monday to meet you? What do YOU think?
Is it so difficult for you to take note of the administrative details related to your assignment? Do you see "Personal Assistant to ..." or "Secretary to ..." following my name?
The lack of professional conduct and courtesy, unfortunately, extends far beyond the classroom. But that would be another blog entry, wouldn't it?
4 comments:
Our State Sales Tax for the business is due by Tuesday; we mailed it off last Friday. Having things done on time is important in lots of ways. If you don't pay business taxes on time they send you a penalty bill. There are no excuses for printers that don't work.
Relax, you can stop fretting over it when Obama hands you your business tax breaks. =D
Shade,
You do not know T. F. well enough. He isn't someone who waits for tax breaks or handouts. This man works hard for his money.
Im not suggesting that he is lazy, just saying that the tax breaks will help him out abit =)
Post a Comment