Friday, May 08, 2009

Mentors

Everyone wants to be a mentor these days. Must be because we have one in the cabinet. To tell the truth, my eyes nearly popped out when I saw this old woman claiming that she's a feminist mentor. Then as I eyed her picture more closely, I wonder what she was talking about or if she knew what she was talking about.

What is, by her definition, a feminist? Is a feminist liberated? If so, why wear any bras? Burn them. Or is a feminist someone stuck in the past? Where, then, is her Victorian corset? Or is a feminist someone who should behave in a female kind of way by virtue of her gender? Oh, but then her place would be the kitchen, where she slogs over her pots and pots of curries to serve tok panjang to her guests. Or is a feminist someone who simply stands out and say "I'm a feminist" and becomes one?

What is feminism all about? What does feminism claim to do for the women? To the radical feminists, is God man or woman? Why not take on the Vatican and insist on a Popess or some sacred feminine? Is feminism about women thumbing down women? The Devil Wears Prada comes to mind where we see how women take on and take down other women to make top bitch. Or is feminism about a prescriptive set of rules dictating what a woman should or should not do? Perhaps women should really start dressing like women. Why didn't Thio Su Mien raise a ruckus at Hong Lim Park over the S Factor? Shouldn't she take offence at almost everything, if not everything, in the show? Where is she in defending the prostitutes in Singapore?

What makes her worthy of being called a mentor? Is it because she was the first female law dean and was "on page 73"? What does she mentor? Just because she goes around "teaching" and hears some confused voices, is that sufficient for her to conclude that the state of affairs are in a mess? What women want is their business. They can be lesbians or unwed mothers or multi-abortionists. Who the hell cares? Who is anyone to impose their values and standards on others? You are not them, so how do you know what has happened to them or why they are in the job they are doing?

I cannot help but wonder if being a mentor is so glamourous that people clamour for it. Maybe I should be a mentor too...

4 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

As a mentor you can say things like, "I meant to tell you, avoid this that or the other", after the underling has discovered a new way to screw things up. Then you can sound like a wise old owl regardless of how ignorant you might be.

Starsplash said...

Being a mentor is just anothe way to propagate oneself.
You may never have any children but then again aren't your ideas like little children, you want to see them grow up, mature, become fruitful, prosper?
I'm thinkin that some might gain eternal life.......who knows?

shade said...

Thio Su Mien Says also siad SARS is God's Punishment to Singapore for supporting Abortion

The probligo said...

Tef, my response grewd to the point of obesity so I dumped it over my place.

On the matter of mentoring, there is a programme around Auckland for "part time grandfathers" to help kids who (for whatever reason) have insufficient male contact in their lives. It is being considered. Seriously.