Vote?
Don't waste my time!
I was a first time voter at the 1997 elections, when Mr Teo Chong Tee, MP Changi, elected in 1991 was supposed to stand against some opposition. Then we were told that Changi-Simei, the electoral group I was in, was absorbed into Aljunied.
Then, Mr George Yeo led a team against frankly-I-cannot-remember-which-team. Mr Teo retired and Mr David Lim took over him.
New or not, Mr Lim was a great MP. It will take a while to get under his quirky surface, with his characteristic twitch of his nose, but he's a good guy for Changi-Simei through and through. In fact, Simei got its MRT through Mr Teo's persistent canvassing and it got its CC and other better amenities like the POSB and OCBC banks as tenants within Eastpoint under Mr Lim's badgering.
Simei was indeed really lucky to have those great guys to be MP during its formative years.
1997, I voted for the first time. I was 22. Attended a rally. Rallies really help one understand the meaning of "It must be light travels faster than sound that you look smart until you open your mouth." That's why lawsuits fly.
I fully understood what powers I wield in my hand.
I knew that no matter how credible an opposition, a small little artificial state like us can do without them. If I were to think of Singapore as a duck, and the parliament as feathers that keeps the duck warm, keeps the duck afloat on the water and aerodynamic in the air, then opposition are the little feathers that run against the grain of the other feathers that protect the duck.
The ruling party may not be the best around but it keeps the duck warm, buoyant, and flighty.
While one or two errant feathers may be good to keep the duck in shipshape through periodic grooming, if there are too many feathers that are out of sync, the duck may not be able to groom itself back to shape. It might freeze or drown or lose its flight abilities.
I am pro-policy voter - a pragmatic, rational voter who is neither pro-government nor pro-opposition for the sake of doing so. I look at the policy and say it's good or it's bad and I make my adjustments.
The people are different parts of the duck. Not all of us can become duck foie gras. Be realistic.
In 2001, I had a walkover when Changi-Simei was absorbed into the East Coast GRC and Mr Lim went over to Bt Panjang GRC (he had a walkover too!). Mr Lee Yock Suan became MP.
Last year, I moved to my new place. I'm under Tanjong Pagar GRC. Under MM Lee, I have another walkover.
Did I miss my opportunity to vote?
Honestly, no. I'm glad that I don't have to pretend to be thinking who would be better for us - a "benevolent autocracy" or a "lopsided democracy".
There is no malice in the terms used. But a mature member of the electorate knows what is best for them, even if it is bitter medicine.
I have made my choice since 1997. Will I change? Yes, when circumstances change sufficiently.
But otherwise, a known evil is easier to deal than a literally crazed one.
No comments:
Post a Comment