Monday, July 20, 2009

Memoirs of a Jetlagged-sha 2

Clearing the Frankfurt Airport security once more was as bad as I imagined. Actually, a little more harrowing than I had expected.

You see, Mr USA grabbed his oversized bags and headed out towards the baggage claim area, giving me hope that he might be gone in Frankfurt after all. But NO! As I queued to re-check in, I saw him turn back and attempt to join the over bloated queue. It was then that I decided to go and get a seat change.

The Frankfurt Gate Hold Room was too small for the passengers of a B744. There were simply insufficient seats and too little personal space. There were meandering corridors which passengers had to navigate through to get to the seats and there was even a mobile deli-magazine-souvenir store inside the room. But there were not enough seats, no privacy, no computers offering free email, no water dispensers offering the parched travellers any free water.

Ok, I should blame Singapore Changi Airport for this. But then if we think about it, Singapore Airlines carry its Europe-bound passengers to the Lufthansa Hub in Frankfurt, where they starburst to their final destinations (pun NOT intended) on LH flights (mostly). Both airlines are Star Alliance members. So, why should there be a difference in the comfort levels for the passengers?

I should also reiterate the low ceilings of FRA, giving most of us a feeling of being boxed in. The perceived pressure is quite incredible.

This time, I was seated in an aisle seat with the adjoining seat empty (phew!) and across the same row of seats was a German granny. In fact, we had two empty seats between us and we were both happy. On my right was a family of 6 - a rather young couple and their 4 kids. If you didn't know, you might guess that the father was an elder brother to the son. But they were very independent and very well behaved. Dad was incredible. He ran the entire process of getting the kids fed, filling out their immigration cards, checking on them and so on with Hitler-like efficiency but with so much care and love. Mum seemed to have a relatively easier time.

The food on this FRA-JFK flight was pretty lopsided. The breads were dropdead gorgeous. Could be the age, could be the palatte, could be... But I've fallen in love in German breads all over again. It's light, yet it packs a pretty weighty load. The lightly crisp crusts and the buttery centres with the silky smooth German butter and strawberry jam. I could eat a dozen buns in the blink of an eye!

Breakfast was either mushroom crepe (oh no, I'm only doing crepes at Out of the Pan at Swissotel Stamford) or pork vermicelli. I had the latter and found there were more bean sprouts than there were vermicelli. Go figure.

The light meal was either Thai Curry Beef or Chicken in paprika sauce. As I don't eat beef, I went for the chicken. Wasn't too bad but thank god for the ice-cream dessert. That Walls Nugger - another German product - blew me away. Looks like it's time to visit Germany for food soon.

I could see the German family enjoyed their food and all. And as fate would have it, we left the plane "together", picked up our luggage "apart", "met" at the toilet and ended up on the same Airtrain. Father and eldest son were unsure if they were on the correct train. I shared my brochure with them and they were finally assured they were. As they reached Federal Circle to pick up the rental car, we wished one another good luck and went our separate ways.

In a while, I reached Jamaica Station and off I went to the LIRR to NYC.

No comments: