Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Murphy Strikes

Strike 1

University of Maryland wrote back and said my area is not a good fit with them. There goes a safety school.

Strike 2

Amtrak takes more than 4 hours to move from Chicago Union Station to Ann Arbor. I can't possibly do a day trip and return in decent shape. I will probably reach the hotel 1 am the next morning after the DAY trip and wake up in time the next morning.

Strike 3

To make it to Chicago O'Hare International Airport by 7 am to check in, I need to hop on the 4.57 am Metro at Davis, Evanston. The trip takes about 2 hours and the reason is that the journey taken by the Metro lines go down south and the back northeast. A direct journey east would have probably taken a third the time.

Strike 4

A big shot of a particular university, after seeing my background, says my GRE Verbal scores are slightly low but "I (referring to if he were me) would definitely apply to our program." I think this is a uber long shot since the university accepts only 2 PhD students a year. But then, this big shot is really big.

Pieceofpork, message me. This university is for you.

Strike 5

To go to visit this particular university, I'll have to spend 10 hours on an Amtrak train, give up 2 nights of hotel, rebook another night of hotel, and give up one part of an airticket.

Strike 6

Not yet. But another Airbus (Yemen) bites the sea. And I'm booked on two Airbus planes for my US domestic flights. Is that irony or what?

Stike 7

You people are sadists or WHAT? Don't tell me... Of course you are enjoying this. What better way to have fun than at another's expense.

Heck, I'm going to enjoy this US trip and I can't give a bloody damn about whatever happens. At this rate things are going, and with the bird flu raging, I wonder if tomorrow will ever come. Maybe I should extend yet another day in NYC...

4 comments:

snoosn said...

I am sure things will work out, you have always been good at that.

Enjoy your trip!:)

Booted Harleydude said...

Trains in the U.S. are a joke. Published schedules are never true. Build in lots of time if you intend to use the train. Plan to be late, and if you happen to arrive close to on-time, consider it a positive one-time experience.

I am confident you will have a very productive trip, despite the logistical hassles. Without them, what would you have to fret about?

Relax, enjoy, have fun. And forget your worries about bird flu. Last time I checked, you are a human, not a chicken!

T. F. Stern said...

That last piece of advice just about covers it, "Relax, enjoy, have fun."

When Lucy and I got married the fellow doing the service for us gave a piece of similar advice. We were concerned about having the whole thing go exactly as planned; but he said, "What ever happens, that's the way we planned it." Extraordinary good advice for nearly any planned adventure in the real world.

Tef said...

Great advice and appreciate your vote of confidence in me, gentlemen. I know; que sera sera.

I'm now wondering if I should spend even more time enjoying myself in NYC. :)