Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I broke a g-string while fingering a minor

Well, the g-string was already quite old and the action was on the hard side. The fingering speed also had to be fast.

Ok, to be honest, I've procrastinated in getting a new g-string since the old one held up pretty nicely. It withstood the rigours when I fingered other minors. Perhaps it is the nature of this minor, when it had to be fingered with enough oomph and speed to keep going.

I pressed it hard of course and kept it from sliding out. It was an awkward position to be in, especially perched on top of a chair with one foot to the ground.

It was very embarrassing as I had nearly come to the climax when the g-string broke and I had to stop and apologise. It was not a pretty sight or sound but fortunately, there was little protest. Accidents like these occur.

Having the g-string break on my guitar when I was fingering the minor chord at the climax of the musical piece was probably the worst moment of my performing career.

What were you thinking?

1 comment:

Al said...

Somebody's got a dirty here, but I'm not sure who.