Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Good Enough

Good Enough

When I was younger and pursuing my grade studies in piano, no piano was ever good enough. The next piano up the scale would always have the more responsive touch, the better timbre, the warmer sound, the... But each successive one corresponds to a significant amount of money more.

When I first began tutoring mathematics, no answer was elegant enough, no school test score was high enough, no question for the pupils was tough enough, no... But each demand corresponds to a drop in interest.

When I bought bags, no bag was big enough, no bag was functional enough, no bag was durable enough, no... In the end, I ended up with a whole room of bags I never used.

Now that I'm older, many things have started to be good enough. A camera that takes decent pictures is good enough - it may not be the clearest of the lot but hey, nothing can be as clear (or as fuzzy) as the picture in your mind!

A computer that works and doesn't hang is good enough - it may not be the fastest of the lot and it doesn't do a lot of tricks other computers can, but it serves me well.

A handphone that works when I need it to is good enough - it may not be the organizer of my dreams or the mini-camera of my fantasy. But when I need to make a call, whether in an emergency or not, and it works, I'm happy enough.

The person that you are going to share your life with may not be the best thing on earth, but this person FOR HAVING ACCEPTED YOU is better than the best thing already.

What is this all about?

This is about contentment. This is about gratitude. This is about not desiring beyond your means.

I am not advocating that one thus accepts whatever comes along. This is about avoiding the pursuit of marginally higher excellence with unjustifiable trade-offs. PSA has done it when they withdrew from the P&O bid. That's the right thing to do!

A person who is contented with his/her lot in life will then be able to find fulfillment and happiness.

No comments: