Real Poverty
Part of me would really like to conduct a study if real poverty in Singapore really exists!
Some assumptions to start my readers thinking:
1. If a person were poor, s/he would not be able to keep up the smoking habit.
2. If a person were poor, s/he would not be able to keep up the gambling habit (I'll admit the occasional 4D, Toto, and Singapore Sweep, but anything more than betting once a fortnight on either of these games is habitual. Betting on horses and soccer games is immediately a gambling habit, given the large betting amounts involved).
3. If a person were poor, s/he would not have luxury items like a flatscreen or better TV, a DVD player, an MP3 player, audio speakers.
4. If a person were poor, s/he would not be able to afford branded clothing, shoes, and accessories.
5. If a person were poor, s/he would not mind menial jobs as it puts food on the table.
I can think of others, but let's start with these and see how many people really fall into the true poverty gap! I'd reckon not many.
No comments:
Post a Comment