Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My Identity

My Identity

This is one biggie these days. In fact, it has been a biggie and a bugbear for the longest time.

Am I a Chinese Singaporean or a Singaporean Chinese?

Am I Singaporean first, or am I my race first?

Honestly, I won't tell you the true answer in my heart, though in an earlier post, I have mentioned that I see myself as a citizen of the world first.

Anyhow, today, the same issue was raised at the seminar.

In all honesty, if it has taken America 260 years and she is still seeking her identity, then where do you think Singapore stand after 40 years of nation building?

It is a long journey of self-discovery and the process itself is the destination.

I don't believe I would see the end of this identity crisis situation by the end of my life.

No comments: